Thursday, January 21, 2010

A few thoughts on Haiti

In the fall of 2002, my sophomore year in college, I went with a friend to the Lipscomb Missions fair, and ended up signing up for a mission trip to Haiti. I didn't know anything about Haiti except that it was a French-speaking country and the missionaries in Cap-Haitien, Mark and Cathy Pearson, were former members at South Fork, our church in Winston-Salem.

March 2003

Dr. Mark Pearson and LU students set up a clinic after church.
I played with the girls while their parents are being seen by Dr. Pearson... an "aha!" moment for me was realizing they understood my French!
The trip ended up being a major life-changing experience in so many ways. Haiti completely changed my worldview, I came back and changed my major, and I started really rethinking the consumerism of our culture... and I knew when I left that I would return... sooner than later!

So, as soon as we got back to the States, I started working on a plan to go back. I, along with another girl from Lipscomb, Leslie Gomer, went for about 3 weeks that May. We stayed with the Pearsons and helped out however we could.

May 2003

Cap-Haitien Children's Home
When I left at the beginning of June, I fully intended to return in March of 2004. In the fall of 2003, I was asked to co-lead the trip, so I planned, coordinated, and recruited a team. In early 2004, civil war broke out in Haiti. The Pearsons decided we needed to cancel the L.U. trip. I was devastated, but began praying that I would have an opportunity to go back to Haiti.

In 2005, Lipscomb decided it was still too risky, and Jeff Fincher asked me to lead a new trip to St. Martin. I accepted and absolutely loved St. Martin (Doug and I have now been 6 times!), especially as part of our work was with a Haitian church on the French side of the island. But the whole time I was praying for a chance to go back to where my heart really was.

Not long afterwards, the Pearsons made the decision to return to the States. Now my main contacts were gone. Chances of returning weren't looking very good.

In the fall of 2008, Melaney Cost announced at a missions meeting that volunteers were needed to help lead a trip to Cap-Haitien, Haiti. GAC would be teaming up with a group of nursing students, led by Twilla and Angie Haynes from Eternal Hope in Haiti. After many prayers, Doug and I decided to take a sabbatical from our work in St. Martin and to help with the Haiti trip. We spent most of our time with the kids at the Hope Haven Orphanage. God was amazingly present the whole time we were in Cap-Haitien. Every student (35 of them!) came away changed.

April 2009

Susie Julian (nurse and GAC mom) with 3 month old (but only 4lb) Ana, rescued at a clinic
the slums of Cap-Haitien
sweet Rosemanie showing Doug how to play the hand-slapping-game
Precious Rosemanie
Doug and Ti-Paul

I have been thinking so much about Haiti the last 8 days. Although Cap-Haitien didn't experience any real destruction, the whole country is devastated and paralyzed. See this post from Cheron at the Hope Haven Orphanage.
I've been thinking about the song, Mother India, by Caedmon's Call... it was written after returning from a mission trip to India. I think it fits perfectly with Haiti as well... see the slightly adapted lyrics:

Father God, You have shed Your tears for Haiti  
They have fallen to water ancient seeds  
That will grow into hands to touch the untouchable  
How blessed are the poor, the sick, the weak   
Father, forgive me, for I have not believed  
Like Haiti, I have groaned and grieved  
Father, forgive me, I forgot Your grace  
Your Spirit falls on Haiti and captures me in Your embrace   
There's a land where our shackles turn to diamonds  
Where we trade in our rags for a royal crown  
In that place, our oppressors hold no power  
And the doors of the King are thrown wide


There is so much that is needed... 
if you want to help, see these posts by Lauren, Austin, and Twilla.

1 comment:

ErinPhippen said...

I've never heard that song before, but I love the line about shackles being turned to diamonds. Oh - God is so good.