Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Last day of work... last day of the long commute

Doug has two more days of work, but today is my last day. I should be excited since I am now on summer vacation (and about 3 weeks earlier than normal!), but instead I am worried. Worried since we don't have jobs lined up... worried because we don't know where we are going to live... worried that we won't find jobs. I know that God will provide... it is hard to be patient, though.

On a different note, I have a feeling that one day we will look back at this year in France and be amazed by our commute to work. It is long and tiring, but it is also good exercise and reading time.

our commute to work:
step 1: less than 5 minute bus ride or car ride to tram stop (or 15 minute walk)
step 2: 22 minute tram ride to Gare Part Dieu (the main train station in Lyon)
step 3: 35 minute train ride from Gare Part Dieu to Belleville-sur-Saône
step 4: 20-25 minute walk from the Belleville train station to the high school or middle school in Belleville.

Now you might be thinking, "oh come on, its not THAT bad," but because there is only 1 train per hour from Lyon to Belleville, we have to take the train that arrives an hour before our classes begin to allow enough time to walk from the station to the school.

Take this morning for example.
5:40AM left house
5:45 tram to Lyon Part Dieu
6:22 train to Belleville-sur-Saône
6:59 train arrived in Belleville
7:20 arrived at school
8AM first class

and because there is only one train an hour, it also works against us on the way back...

5:45PM finish teaching
6:10 arrive at train station (therefore missing the 6PM train back to Lyon)
7PM train leaves Belleville to go back to Lyon
7:35 train arrives at Lyon Part Dieu
7:40 tram to Meyzieu
8:02 tram arrives Meyzieu
8:05PM arrive back at house

Whew! I will definitely NOT miss Tuesdays!

2 comments:

Lauren S said...

Wow. That commute is horrible. I hope you get a job soon, and I hope the school is closer or you can live closer to the school!

Emily said...

Hey Liz! I've been enjoying following you on your blog this year! I know I'm out of the loop, but are you all planning on staying in France? Thanks for sharing your journeys!